Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Cycling Event

Tour de Donut!!!
 Awesome recap with TONS of pictures.
Tour de Donut pretty much rocked! It was a super fun event, I for sure will be taking part next year. HOW the race works is awesome you ride 3 laps of 7 miles each, after the first and second laps you stop and eat DONUTS!!! Each donut you eat takes 3 minutes off your time :)
 My Hubby rode this event with me! He downed 8 DONUTS!!! 
My awesome friends came along too!!! I beat both of them on donuts eaten :) Better luck next year LADIES!
Met the one and only "FATTY"!!! Super nice guy, now Fatty is the brains behind www.fatcyclist.com! He  lost his wife to cancer and was left with 4 kids, he does a lot of work to help in the fight against cancer. He is an amazing rider and I love reading his stories, it's never a dull moment on fatcyclist.com. I was able to ride a bit with him and eat LOTS of donuts with him, however he ate 13 totally beat me. Hey, I wasn't racing Fatty I am smarter then that :)
I was able to meet up with a reader/ blogger Camille  Make it Work Mom She is for sure a new friend of mine so fun to meet! 
Are y'all dying to know how many donuts I consumed??? 
I have to thank the wonderful Jess at Picture Me Mine for the AWESOME pictures!!!!
4 I was 8 short of winning the female division! However 4 about made me BARF.  I could hardly eat 4. Maybe next year....... The male division winner ate 26 donuts!!!!! 
Now more about the FUN RACE!!!!
This caused me MAJOR stress!!!! Um ya look how many cyclist there are all bunched together. How on earth do you not collide, tip over, crash, pedal and get OUT of the human cycling flood??? You don't think about it and you go SUPER slow until the people thin out.......killed my patience, I was nervous and prayed I didn't wreck!!!! I succeeded and was SAFE, I also now know what to expect at another event, hadn't given the start line much thought! The ride was flat, well paced and full of fun!!! My official time ended up being 1:21:52 minus the 12:00 for my donuts was 1:09:52 place 15th in my division. The race was VERY well put on, the volunteers were all wonderful.  All in all I have to say it was a great event to take part of and if you have a Tour de Donut near you or anything like it  MAKE sure and take part! Or even better come to Utah and ride with ME next year :)
Now for how my wounds handled the ride???
It was my first ride after the Alpine Slide. I was honestly in WAY to much pain to ride, until Saturday. I was nervous about riding with my lovely wounds.......
However I bought matching Coflex and totally rocked it. I matched and everything!!! The swelling has pretty much gone down now and the sunscreen is going to be my BEST friend in protecting this fresh new skin from scaring!!

-IN LOVING MEMORY-  
This story makes me grateful for my wounds and appreciate my every breath I take.
 This super beautiful woman "Bunny" Bradley was killed last week in a cycling accident.  I had a chance to meet and chat with her Dad, what a strong family she has.  She left behind a husband and 2 young children. During the race they had a special lap for Bunny. My deepest sympathies and well wishes go out to her family, and friends.

Cherish EVERY moment of EVERY day!!!!

50 comments:

Jen said...

Looks like so much fun! I don't get the part about the donuts???? But I do love them...so I think I would like it!
You look so cute in your gear...except for the wounds.
And so sorry to hear about Bunny. Be careful out there!

E. Jane said...

Sad story about Bunny. My heart goes out to her kids. You take care.

Andrea said...

What a freakin awesome event, love the photos - you are so gorgeous. Sorry to hear about Bunny, but a great tribute to her!

Karen R said...

Great blog post! I enjoyed reading about the event and appreciate the dedication to the family left behind.

Have a great week :)

Becca said...

I love that you matched the bandages to your outfit - very chic!

I'm also glad that you're healing without any issues... those road burns looked like they hurt a lot. You're a tough cookie! (although I'm sure you didn't feel it at the time.. heh)

RunningFromCancer said...

Looks like it was a great event. Love the donut eating. I have never heard about this type of event - I will keep my eyes open for it 'cause it looks like fun.
Glad your wounds are healing.

I had my first biking event this weekend also - 50 mile bike ride for the Boys and Girls club. It was hot but fun. It gave me confidence for the MS 150 whch is coming up in August.

Harold said...

Wow a race that incorporates donuts? I'm so there! Love me some donuts :) Although I think 6 would be about my limit.

Sharon said...

Awesome post and great ride!! Since I'm in the east, I LOVE looking at the background scenery in your photos. Thanks for the link to Bunny's story. We need constant reminders to never take the next moment for granted, don't we?

Laura said...

Great post and what a great event. I love FatCyclist and was so sad when I read about his wife as well as your story about Bunny.

Ak said...

What a fun race, I enjoyed this post!

Such a sad story about Bunny. :(

Connie said...

Great post! I wish I had been able to meet you there! So glad the wounds are healing! You must have really been flying down that slide! OUCH!
Back to the race...We're going to do it again next year. If I don't meet you before, I'll see you then. In the meantime, take care.

ajh said...

I am so jealous! I have wanted to race in Krispie Kremes 5K where you eat donuts. What a fun race but for a good cause!

Allie said...

Congrats on your race and your donut eating skills, LOL. It looks like you had a great time.
Glad to see that your arms are looking better, and how cute that your bandages matched?

divad said...

You look amazing and I love your cycling clothes. Your matching wound aids are very cool.

Bunny's story makes me sad. Life is too hard.

tiburon said...

I totally saw you there! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Fun to read your re-cap!

Living the Scream said...

That looked so much fun I loved the pictures what a neat event!! You are inspiring!

Donna said...

I wish they had an event like that around here, ha ha! It looked like a great time. I love how you matched your bandages, that would totally be me! I try to match my bike whenever possible (it's pink, black and white).

I was so saddened to see that story about Bunny. I do admit that I get worried about something like that happening to me or a fellow cyclist.

teacherwoman said...

Nice job girl! Glad to hear the wounds are healing well. Thanks for sharing some wonderful pics and stories.

EZEthan said...

Combining competitive eating with competitive cycling... what a wild idea... I might have just found my calling!!!

The Green Girl said...

I can't believe someone ate 26 donuts! That is insane. What a fun race - thanks so much for sharing. Those shots of you eating your donuts are priceless.

I love that you stayed fashionable with your bandaging. ::smiles::

I am so sad about Bunny. ::hugs::

Heather Iacobacci-Miller said...

What a fun race. My husband bikes and it scares me so much. A woman was killed recently here as well. We have some major issues with drivers not understanding the concept of cyclists and sharing the road.... Just breaks my heart.

racing dawn said...

Seriously, could you be any cuter inhaling donuts? Love it! The race looked so fun - I'm glad you all had a blast!

Big Clyde said...

What a fun event! You are really doing well on the cycling thing. Keep it up!

Tonyne said...

How much fun was that?! :) You looked adorable too!

Kate Geisen said...

Such a fun ride! We have a similar ride here in Illinois, and my son and I have participated for the last two years. I agree...that pack at the beginning is SCARY!! It seems like it would be so easy to get knocked over. Slow and easy is definitely the way to go, unless you're one of the jackrabbits at the front of the group! :)

Alanna said...

wow! that is pretty much my dream event! perhaps replace the donuts with cupcakes, but I'd take either :) Good job on your placement!

That is a really tragic story about Bunny. I think about the dangers of being on the road each and every time I head out.

Megan said...

That race does looks like fun. But Dang girl how'd you eat 4 doughnuts. I've got a belly ache just hearing about it.

ihaverun said...

I hadn't even heard of this event. Sounds like a great time!! Love the pics and inspiration!

Amanda said...

Oh that's such a sad tragic story!

Glad you had a good race! Yum, donuts! Ugh 4 donuts! lol

Amanda said...

Ouch! I was just looking at your injuries b/c I was on vacation and haven't read your blog in a week!

Those wounds look so bad! Glad you survived!

Toomey Family said...

That's my kind of race...YUMMY!!

Trish said...

I love donuts!! Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the bike ride!! And you're right about cherishing every moment. Such a sad story.

Also dropped by to say that I left you an award over at my blog!!!

Jamie said...

What a great event! Love those donut pics!!!

Camille said...

Loved those pics that Jess took of you. Looks like you were serious about downing those donuts!! 4 was much better than my wimpy 2 donuts. I will do much better next year!! SOOO fun to meet you -can't wait to meet up w/u again soon.

Alan said...

Wow, that's about the most creative race I've heard of. I'm about 3/5ths thinking it sounds really cool and 2/5ths basically horrified by the nutritional statement! Majority rules. Glad you're loving the bike!

Kayla said...

Looks like it was a ton of fun! Great Job!

Pedaling said...

found you via the fat cyclist.

you are an inspiration!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

What a fun event! Love all the pics!!

Heart goes out to bunny's family!

MaryFran said...

Ok, that looks like some serious fun!!!! Tour de Donut! tee hee hee

MaryFran said...

Ok, that looks like some serious fun!!!! Tour de Donut! tee hee hee

H Love said...

wow...you look sharp. love love the pice. also love how you are meeting and being touched by others lives. thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Way to go Lindsay! You look so awesome in your biking gear:)

So sad about Bunny....you are right, cherish every day

Richard said...

Try some Scar Therapy pads once your wounds heal up. I've used them with much success.

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun race! You look great! Can you blog about what made you start cycling, sometime?

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, in mine, we had cake donuts, they were sooooo heavy, I had 5 and thought I had 50 pounds of rocks in my stomach. Glad you had fun

Christy said...

My deepest sympathy goes to Bunny's family. Her two young daughters will never get to know her. She appeared to be one of those wonderful women who just lived a good life and shared love with all of the people she met. God speed to her family.

Christy said...

My deepest sympathy goes to Bunny's family. Her two young daughters will never get to know her. She appeared to be one of those wonderful women who just lived a good life and shared love with all of the people she met. God speed to her family.

CommuterGirl said...

Just found your blog from a reference on FatCyclist. Love it!
www.commutergrl.blogspt.com
www.commutergirl.net

Mitzi said...

Your wounds are really scary. Thanks for being an inspiration.